Landsberger Straße 19
D-80339 München


+49 89 50 70 47
+49 89 50 22 56 9

Opening hours:
daily 10am to midnight

we offer warm & cold dishes continuously from 11am to 11pm
Leberkäs and sausages already from 10am

Tradition Augustiner beers Horses of the brewery

The history of Augustiner-Bräu, due to about 670 years of tradition Munich's oldest brewery, has begun in 1294, when the cornerstone of the Augustinian monastery was laid at the Haberfeld next to the Neuhauser Gasse. Documentary proof exists that already in 1328 an excellent beer was brewed within the walls of the freshly completed building. A major fire raged in Munich that year as well and the monastery is known to have been spared, therefore 1328 is considered the foundation date of the Augustiner brewery, thereby being the oldest of all existing breweries resident in Munich.
From the brewing house's first days on until the secularisation in 1803, when Napoleon's reforms put many Bavarian monasteries under state control, the very renowned beer had continually been brewed there. It had been sold in the internal tavern, very popular because of the reigning high spirits, as the monastery hold both brewing and selling rights. Worth mentioning is also that the Bavarian prince had not given them only both rights, but also exempted the monks from any taxes to reward them for the extraordinary quality of their beer.

After the takeover of the monastery by the state and the departure of the brotherhood, the brewery was denationalized and eventually moved to 275, Neuhauser Straße in 1817 (in the meantime nr. 27 and in Munich's central pedestrian precinct). The company stayed there only until 1885, when the "Stammhaus" was turned into a restaurant that has persisted until today, even though a major rearrangement, directed by the well-known architect Emanuel von Seidl, has taken place at the beginning of the 19th century.
Since 1885 the housing of the brewery has become and remained the "Kellerareal" at the Landsberger Straße (today nr. 31 to 35), where also the "Bräustüberl" is, the internal tavern of Augustiner-Bräu. In the meantime that last relocation has proved as a very well thought-out move by the Wagner family, particularly Mr. Anton and Mrs. Therese, who bought the company back in 1829 and led it as a private brewery, just as all their successors have done up to nowadays.

In the course of history, Augustiner-Bräu survived a privatization, some wars and many extensions without ever forgetting its philosophy or risking about the quality of its beer. This has made Augustiner-Bräu an important element for Munich's culture and the city's restaurants and beer gardens places still representing the coziness and traditional social life of ancient Munich.